A lot of people have stopped using old standard light bulbs and replaced them with the eco-friendly energy saving ones with the aim to save money and energy. These eco-friendly bulbs are detrimental and actually toxic. In case of a bulb breakage because of the harmful gas being released the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency created an emergency protocol.
This gas emits 20 times more the allowed amount of mercury, according to a study done at the Fraunhofer Wilhelm Klauditz Institute for German’s Federal Environment Agency. Moreover, energy efficient light bulbs have been associated with anxiety, dizziness, lack of concentration, migraines, fatigue and seizures.
Take a look at some other reasons why you need to switch back to incandescent or led lights for that purpose, :
Excessive amount of mercury
Mercury is a neurotoxin which has an adverse effect to everyone, especially children and pregnant women . It harms the nervous system, kidneys, brain, liver, and, what’s more, it has been related to insomnia, memory loss, cancer, tremors,anxiety and Alzheimer’s.
The energy-efficient bulbs are filled with cancer-causing chemicals like phenol, styrene, and naphthalene, according to a study done at Berlin Germany’s Alab laboratory.
These bulbs emit UV-B and UV-C radiation which is harmful to eyes and the skin. On the entire immune system the radiation has a negative effect and prevents the formation of vitamin D3.
Make sure to open all windows and doors and evacuate the house within 15 minutes in case of a bulb breakage. As the incandescent lights will not be available anymore, the LED ones are still available. To be on the safe side use them.